DAVID CHAN Wrote:
15th August 2014
My apologies for being tardy this time around - I blame semester 2 happening plus a whole lot of rehearsals and concerts.
Another very fine night with outstanding company and, as always without exception, interesting fabulous wines, as well as a fantastic venue with equally fantastic food to match, in the Athena dining room at the Athenaeum Club.
Here is a list of wines that we had:
1. Domaine Metrat Fleurie "La Roilette" 2008 Vieilles Vigne (MJ)
2. Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet "Les Baudines" PC 2002 (ST)
3. Blain-Gagnard Batard-Montrachet GC 2005 (ST)
4. Chateau de la Maltrove Chassagne-Montrachet "La Romanee" PC 2007 (DM)
5. Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux GC 2005 (GG)
6. Chante le Merle Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Bosquet des Papes" 2006 (MJ)
7. Wynns "Centenary" Shiraz-Cabernet 1991 (DC)
8. Penfolds "Bin 707" Cabernet Sauvignon 1993 (W)
9. Chateau Suduiraut 1989 - 375ml (DM)
10. Chateau Cantegril 2009 - 375 ml (DM)
Food that we had:
a. Soupe de Poisson match to (1) - for me the most interesting match of the dinner (if not pretty much the most interesting match in history of Cellar Geek).
b. Barramundi with colcannon, leek, mussel and saffron veloute matched to (2), (3) & (4)
c. Duck Maryland with puy lentils, winter vegetables, cherry crumble and duck jus matched to (5) & (6)
d. Beef eye fillet with sweetbread, bone marrow, witlof and just matched to (7) & (8)
e. cheese plate and various desserts (Bombe Alaska; Affogato) matched to (9) & (10)
Just typing this write brought back fabulour memories of all the wine and food - I'm hungry now!!!
Thanks again for yet another terrific Cellar Geek dinner, Dave for the bonus dessert wines, Sharad for his extra bottle and kudos to Marty for twisting enough arms for us to have this at the Athenaeum Club.